I started this blog primarily to record my journey of taking back my home. My original post about my goals for this blog is here. In light of that, I can't just record the highlights...the "I got it done...here it is" posts. It's about the journey.
So I thought I'd catch up some things I'm working on, even if they are not finished yet. While I wait for paint to dry, or my arms to stop trembling from sanding, I go work on some other project.
Today I got the final coat of paint on Jared's room. It has been exhausting, but very rewarding to get the walls and ceiling done. I started with this:
Then I did this:
Then I spackled, sanded and primed before painting. What. A. Job! So glad that is done. Tomorrow or the next day I plan to paint a horizontal stripe around the room. Then I have to paint the floors. And what a job that will be, but I'll post about that later.
I'm also working on painting several pieces of furniture, some for Jared's room and some for my daughter to take to college. Most of these I picked up at garage sales or was given for free. Lately I've been blessed with freebies. People started hearing about the projects I am doing, and just give me stuff.
This little end table will be a nightstand in Jamie's apartment at college. I've repaired, sanded and painted the base coat, but need to get some universal tint so I can make a glaze. We picked it up at a garage sale for $10 (which upon closer inspection was too much to pay for it.) It is very cheaply made and had a broken leg and missing bracket. But I fixed that, with a little "how to" help from my husband. It will be fine for college.
Here it is before. I started painting one leg before I remembered to take a picture.
This is the bracket I fixed...almost all by myself. I'm so proud. My husband used the chop saw to cut off a chunk of wood to use. I used the jigsaw to cut it out. Then predrilled holes for screws and nails and attached it, as well as a couple of blocks underneath to support the broken leg.
I've also sanded two other pieces of furniture: A nightstand for Jared's room, and a drop leaf dining table for Jamie's apartment. Hopefully I can start painting them tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
So that is what I've been up to. Hopefully by the end of this week, all the furniture will be done. Jared's room won't be done, but the walls will be and hopefully the floor too. The garden is going to start bursting with beans to be canned, and snow peas and broccoli to freeze soon. I really want to get these projects done before then. Then homeschool starts after labor day...YIKES! Take deep breaths...and I'm breathing...and breathing...