Before I started, it looked like this:
After removing the hardware I lightly sanded just to make sure the paint adhered properly. Next I distressed it. It already had some dings in it; I just added some more. My tools of destruction were a hammer, a tiny nail set and some big chain.
I used the claw on the hammer to make some longer marks. I just banged it lightly. This is pine so it didn't take much. Then I used the chain and gave that poor thing a spanking, but not too hard. Lastly I used the nail set to create "worm holes."
I gave it another light sanding in case I stirred up any splinters, then I sprayed it with a couple coats of black paint. After it dried I lightly sanded the edges to age it a bit.
Now to give it some attitude. I knew I didn't want ordinary handles. His room was getting a industrial/auto mechanic sort of remodel. It had to be cool. Tractor Supply was my go to spot. It's where I got the curtain rod after all. What? You don't get your curtain rods at Tractor supply? Check out this post and you might just change your mind.
Up to this point the remodel of this little piece was all me. Here's where hubby came in. We found large bolts at tractor supply. I wanted them cut off to use as handles, but I was frustrated because I didn't know how to attach them. Hubby said, "that's easy." I said, "huh?" He explained that he would cut it with a Sawzall, which is a mean looking saw that looks something like this:
First he cut off the bolts to the right length for knobs, then he filed them smooth.
Then he drilled holes in the exact middle to start the process. After this it's a mystery what he did. It was freezing cold out in the barn and it looked like it was going to be awhile. He used the tap and die set somehow to make the hole with threads to match the bolt. Sorry I don't have pictures. You'll have to google that one, or ask someone with a tap and die set. Don't take your tap shoes along though. You might get laughed out of their garage.
So now the knobs to the top drawer were in place and looking cool if I do say so myself.
But the bottom drawer presented another problem. Remember the before shot?
See that handle on the bottom drawer? It was attached with two screws, so I had two holes about two inches apart. The same knobs would have looked funny there. So I thunk, and thunk some more, then got inspiration from the curtain rod. Back to Tractor Supply I trotted. I got the shortest length of small chain link that I could buy (6 inches), and two eye bolts with nuts.
Using bolt cutters, hubby cut me off a piece of chain 5 links long. Then he opened up the eyebolts enough to slip the chain on and closed them back up again. I just inserted the bolts through the holes in the drawer and secured them inside with the nut.
Another handle with attitude. Kinda like my boy. But that's another story. Here's the finished night stand.
Oh look...it's smiling. I think it likes it's new look!
I've linked this to these parties. Be sure to check them out!
Domestically Speaking - Power of Paint Party
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell
Debbiedoos - Before and After
The Shabby Chic Cottage - Transformation Thursdays
House of Hepworth's -Hookin' Up with hoh
Tools are for Women Too
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday
My Romantic Home - Show and Tell Friday
Mustard Seed Creations - Furniture Feature Friday
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day
Funky Junk Interiors - Sat Nite Special