Saturday, August 11, 2012

From Brass to Silver with Rub 'n Buff

It has been a long two weeks.  Ken is fine.  He had a very mild heart attack that was a blessing in disguise.  He was 90 - 95% blocked in the old stent from his first (bad) heart attack 8 years ago.  If it had been much longer, he could have had another bad one.

They put a new drug-coated stent inside the old one.  It is supposed to fool the body and keep the stent from plugging up.  There was no damage to the heart this time, so he was able to return to work on light duty this week.  Thank you all for you concern and prayers.

Before all this happened I had organized painting and moving crews to help a single mom with 8 kids get out of a bad situation.  They had a new home to move into, but it needed a lot of work.  I felt so bad when I couldn't be there to help the first week, but of course, my place was with Ken.

This past week I spent two 12 hour days and one 8 hour day painting.  Several others helped while I was gone, stripping tons of wallpaper and painting.  One woman, who is incredibly talented, became the "foreman" of the job, and spent hours stripping wallpaper, mudding and sanding walls, and painting.  She and I finished up most of it yesterday.

I haven't had much time to clean house, but the boys helped me today, so we got everything done except dusting.  I'm exhausted.  It's going to be a few days before I'm ready to tackle any big projects.  Our daughter, Jamie, will be home tomorrow.  She finished up her research scholarship program and will have about 3 weeks to be home.  I can't wait!  I'll be taking some time to spend with her while she is here.

I found pictures of a project that I did last winter, but never shared.  It's not my greatest transformation, but is a great way to transform brass or other metal.  Basically I used my finger to apply silver and black Rub 'n Buff to these brass horse bookends.  After they dried I used a rag to polish them to a shine.  Sorry for the poor quality pictures.  I've gotten a little better with my camera since these were taken.

On the right is the original brass.  The left one has been treated to two coats of silver Rub 'n Buff.

I smooshed black  Rub 'n Buff  into the edges and crevices of the horses, let it dry for a minute or two, then rubbed most of it back off.

You can see how the black brought out the details in these two photos.

Here is one all polished up.  I'm liking the silver better than the brass.  These were a wedding present from my Aunt and Uncle.  I've enjoyed them many years, but was ready for a change.  

Have a great weekend my friends.  I'm zoning out!

I've linked this post to these great parties:


  1. I am so glad your hubby is doing great! I just love the horse. It is amazing how things can be transformed, and you did a wonderful job. I know the single lady really appreciates all your hard work! Hugs, Lynn

  2. Hi - these look nice - I wish I had seen this product before I spray painted my Easter bunny this past spring - I think it would have toned down the extreme pastels on him to a nice aged color.

  3. I'm so glad to hear your hubby is doing well.
    Bless your heart for helping the woman out with her house, Debbie.
    With everything you had going on with Ken, and then to work so hard for someone else the way you are truly a blessing.
    I like what you did with the book ends. great job!
    Have fun with your daughter.

  4. Love these! The black definitely takes it to another level. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the pallet wood art! So sweet and now following you!


Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment. They make my day!


Related Posts with Thumbnails